New to the outdoors? Well then you’ve come to the right place. Here you’ll find resources to help you get started in hiking, canoeing and kayaking. You’ll find tips for buying gear and planning trips, wilderness safety and more.
There are infinite opportunities to explore outside, you just need to get out and find them.
Getting starting with hiking…
Hiking is a great way to get started with outside adventure. You don’t need any equipment, there are hiking trails in just about every corner of the world! Here are some tips for taking that first step.
More on hiking
- The Camper’s Guide on How to Poop in the Woods
- An Outdoor Getaway to The Bay of Fundy
- Expert Interview: What is it really like to hike the Pacific Crest Trail?
- How to Experience the Magic of Georgian Bay Islands National Park
- Hiking at Rattlesnake Point: A piece of wilderness just outside Toronto
Not sure where to go? Check out these recommendations for places to hike, paddle and camp in Ontario
Getting started with canoeing
Planning a canoe trip can seem like a daunting task, especially if it’s your first one. Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Canoe Tripping to give you all of the steps for planning your own. Already done a canoe trip, but looking to level up your game? Read my guide to scouting rapids, so you can start incorporating whitewater into your canoe trips.
Coming soon: pro tips for buying your first tent
More on canoeing
When you’re in the wilderness, it’s important to have the skills to keep you and your group safe. Consider getting wilderness first aid training.
Read the latest posts on Getting Started
- How to Get Started in Whitewater Canoeing
- 5 Pro Tips for Buying Beginner Hiking Boots
- The outdoor gear that is (and is not) worth an investment
- A Beginner’s Guide to Canoe Camping
John A. Shedd
A ship in harbor is safe — but that is not what ships are built for.”